Saturday, July 15, 2006

Eating to lower cholesterol - research note

1) recent research indicated that culprits of high blood cholesterol, in terms of food intake, are saturated and trans fat; Cholesterol we eat is not the greatest influence on the cholesterol in our blood.
2) recent studies have shown that eating up to one egg a day didn't raise cholesterol levels or increase the risk of heart disease in healthy people. If you already have elevated cholesterol levels, 3-4 eggs per week are generally allowed. Eggs may be high in dietary cholesterol, but they don't contain much saturated fat. That also true for cholesterol-laden shrimp and other shellfish, which typically are OK in moderation as long as they're not soaked in butter or deep-fried. It looks like to me that nature has its way to package dietary cholesterol existing in eggs or shrimps, so it get digested easily by human without any harm.
3) a new study found that adding a specific combination of heart-healthy foods brought down cholesterol levels as much as first-generation statin drugs - 20% or more. This experiments shown that if a "portfolio" of foods (rich in viscous fiber, plant sterols, monounsaturated fat, see my previous three posts) - each with its own minor cholesterol-lowering benefits - could have a larger effect when eaten together.


3 comments:

Yasser said...

surely you cant eat one egg every day even of you are healthy though...

ab said...

i forwarded your site to one of my friends who is quite interested in this type of info.

thanks for putting it out here.

peace.

TexMass said...

I am a 45 year old male. Both my parents were on medication for high blood pressure and high cholesterol when they were my age. I have never had high blood pressure or high cholesterol and my last cholesterol test was only 167. The only constant in my diet since 1982 is bran cereal for breakfast. I used to eat Post 100% Bran but now I eat Kellogs All Bran. I have been reading that one of the natural secrets is folic acid. Kellogs All Bran gives 100% of the RDA of Folic Acid. I have gone to doctors for the flu or other illnesses but when they see I'm overweight they always check my cholesterol but it keeps comming back low. I'm about 40 lbs overweight and try to walk on my treadmill but that may be twice a week on good days since I have arthritis in both knees. Just thought I'd share. Maybe something to consider.