Tuesday, June 06, 2006

Curry preserve brain function

People at India have low rate of Alzheimers disease. Since curries are a dietary staple there, it is natural for researchers to study the medical effect of curry on humans mental health.
It turned out that curry contains a spice called curcumin, which gives curry its yellow color, can curb mental decline and even slow the effects of neurodegenerative diseases such as Alzheimers disease.
Firstly, people found curcumin may activate a key enzyme that protects the brain against natural cellular oxidation. Cellular oxidation causes inflammation, which causes cell death, then disease, and then neurodegeneration.
Secondly, Doctors at UCLA's Alzheimer's Disease Research Center have found that curcumin has one additional property not shared by most spices. It directly inhibits the production of amyloid plaques, the sticky substances that directly causes Alzheimer's disease. Curcumin, in fact, seems to cut the number of amyloid plaques in half.
I heard India food has been the most popular international food in UK for the last 2-3 years. In my hometown, I see several India restaurants opened in the last 2 years as well. A healthy trend!

12 comments:

Unknown said...

Thanks for the great blog. I stumbled across it this morning and it's been a fascinating read!

QUASAR9 said...

Love curry! - Does that mean Alzheimer's is uncommon in India? Not mocking, serious question. Laters ... Q

Anonymous said...

wow

uncle boy said...

WAaa.. very usefull info man.. I found your blog from the link that come to my blog. No idea how.. cant see any connection..

Anyway, I have no idea what a Alzheimers disease is, but its good to know that the curry I eat at the indian/mamak restaurants here are a healthy foods.

Anonymous said...

Bering Scottish I am very glad to hear that curry is in some way good for you.

Thanks for the info.

Luma Rosa said...

Delicious...

Anonymous said...

Not really. Curry dishes are also some of the most cholesterol filled in the world, so Indian's tend not to live long enough to get Alzheimer's as most have died of diabetes and heart disease long before then...

Mischka said...

Great blog! I'll have to come back to read more some other day. I guess I should start eating curry :)

KLJ said...

I will definately be bookmarking your site.
I have Ulcerative Colitis and my doctor has very little interest in looking at diet as part of my treatment, though it has so far been the most effective treatment I've tried.

mayura97 said...

Hmm, sometimes, indian food is not really that good afterall. Indian tend to use a lot of coconut oil, which is high in cholestrol, which is bad for the body. However, there's a lot of Indian food that is beneficiary for health... It's a good post though. I am a Health blogger too.. ;)

Anonymous said...

more bs about diet and people literally eat it up... the elderly in great britain are healthier and happier than in the usa per a recent major network tv news (don't recall which one) and yet the diet they eat is full of stuff (fat) that abhors us.... same for france, japan, and now india.... aargh!! my friends from thailand are very thin and presumably healthy...it's so confusing... KISS (keep it stupid, simple) 1. reduce your stress whatever it is and that includes enjoying whatever you eat... even if nutrition snobs think you're eating crap...... 2. intake vs outake... if you want to lose weight, expend more than you ingest. it's called exercise folks... 3. restraint or moderation if you're unwilling to burn those calories... 4. forgive yourself. this goes back to stress.. some live long fulfilling lives in spite of those who point their fingers at them for a lousy diet... i have no proof but i bet those who suffer are of weak mind from being guilted for their transgressions and it transfers to their bodily breakdown... so lighten up america!

jules said...

i m a new babe in the blog world.so glad i find my way to this fantastic great blog.i m a curry lover too!thks for affirming my right choice of food.