Friday, June 23, 2006

Drinking beer to fight prostate cancer

A main ingredient in beer may help prevent prostate cancer, according to a recent report. This ingredient is called Xanthohumol. Cancer typically results from uncontrolled cell reproduction and growth. Xanthohumol, which belongs to a group of plant compounds called flavonoids, can trigger the so-called programmed cancer cell death and therefore can controls cancer growth.
Xanthohumol is present in such small amounts in most of beers that a person would have to drink more than 17 beers to benefit. The good news is that scientists in Germany have already developed a beer that contains 10 times the amount of xanthohumol as traditional brews.

10 comments:

darcy said...

Sweet :D

kat said...

What other foods might contain this flavonoids?

Ruby said...

another reason to drink beer -- not that I needed one.

Jagd Kunst said...

I read about this in the paper yesterday to my delight. The article directly underneath was about how coffee helps to regenerate your liver.

I am saved.

R2K said...

Lies : )

Sir James E. Watkins said...

good information here.

And beer's good so...for breakfast or to prevent certain cancers. who knew?

check us out.

www.promiseoflight.org


~ James

Sadhana said...

Hello!!!

Ur blog is amazing & informative...my friend has started her career as nutritionist in reserch & development platform , your blog might be useful to her!

Thank you :)

Quindigo said...

I read this and was REALLY excited...now, if only I had a prostate! ;)

CHUYS said...

Hey dude, very informative website. Would probably post this blog entry of yours on my blog. You know this German beer though? Let me know. Thanks!

www.chuys.blogspot.com

Jax said...

First, I really like your blog.

Second, I wonder if the incidence of prostate cancer is lower overall in places like Germany that drink a lot of beer.